Thursday, June 12, 2008

This is weird - too creepy for words

The last entry here was the beginning of a short story of which I am quite proud and which has been well received. In fact, people are impatient for the rest of it.

If I were to say that the ending will come from elsewhere, would you understand what I mean?

Let me explain, if I can. As I said in my introduction, the story 'just popped up' to meet a need, that is, a need for a short story to present to my Writers' Group at the recent meeting. I beavered away, and came up with a halfway decent story, don't you think?

I posted it here and invited you good people to read, and fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, my Twin Brother - he of our mutual aquaintance, read it too.

He has sent me an email, a very nice email, in which he lays out the ending of the tale! Not exactly as I had it mapped out, but much the same ending nonetheless.

HE HAS THE STORY ON HIS COMPUTER ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe it? He's already written the story! Well done him, in my view and I offer my congratulations although I'm disappointed that I cannot now finish.

I do not recall ever having discussed or mentioned this with him, not ever, but perhaps, somewhere in the past, the germ of the idea may have passed between us, perhaps in conversation, perhaps in our shared history. Maybe, because we both served in the same county, we may have come across something, an incident, perhaps, which led to the idea.

The point is, the idea of the story has fruited and matured separately at different times in both our brains and this is the result! Do you know, I'm beginning to think that perhaps his Dear Daughter, my Sweet Niece, had the rights of it - we really do have a shared brain.

Although there is no copyright on ideas as such, only on the treatment of them, I have neither the wish nor intent to cause friction between us, life's too short for that, and for that reason, I'll not be continuing with the story for now.

I'm sorry to disappoint, and hope that you'll understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home