To hear or not to hear
I posted an item in the various newsgroups that I inhabit, concerning an audio book that I had picked up from the library, and said how I would be converting them from cassette tape to CD. From there, of course, it would be simple to convert to mp3 and then to portable mp3 player.
This was one of the responses to that post:-
Never tried an audio book............what's the advantage over the printed
page?
S'pose you'll be recording your writings now then> ? :)
--
Pete C
London UK
which poses two perfectly valid questions. At the risk of boring the reader to death, I'll try to explain as best I can, how this question affects me.
When I designed The Chicken, I considered all those who, like me, have difficulty in reading small print and who simply cannot handle large, weighty tomes. I chose a standard book size which allowed me to present my stories in a form which would be easily handleable by those whose grip is not good, whose posture is not ideal for reading, and whose eyesight is not as good as in yesteryear. Just like me, in fact.
This seems to have proven a popular choice.
Now, wearing glasses, as I do, I find that my eyes get tired and that those times when I feel like reading a book quite often coincide with the times when my eyes will not cooperate. When I read a book, a newspaper or a magazine, my mind, as with any other reader, takes the words and converts them into mind pictures - the better the writer, the clearer the picture. I find quite often, most often really, that when a book has been converted to film, the pictures on screen do not coincide with the images I'd already formed from reading the words.
Listening to a story read on the radio is a different story (no pun intended) as someone else is reading the book and I'm listening to him/her as they read aloud, as it were. I was confounded at one time when I was bedbound, when I could not handle a book by virtue of not being able to hold one in a position to read, and I could not wear my glasses.
I wondered then whether, if I listened to an audio book, it would work the same for me that is, form the same mind pictures for me - whether those pictures would be mine own or whether they would be those formed by the reader. In other words, would it be the same for me if the words of the story came to my mind via my ears as opposed to my eyes.
I tried it out. I took out a book from the library, in both print and audio form. I read the book first, though I struggled with the print size, then soon after, I listened to the audio. The reader was very good and I found that I formed the very same word pictures and enjoyed the book just as much, without the convenience of being stationary and focussed on a page of print.
So, as far as I was concerned, the audio has as much value as the written word. However, there are those less fortunate than ourselves, those without sight, or without sufficient sight, who miss out on the joy of those millions of superb tales to be found in books.
After much trial and error, I now have the means to read my stories onto this computer, thence to disc. The quality of the recording is satisfactory, and, people tell me, my reading voice is of acceptable standard. I did a few experimental recordings which are available to listen, should the reader desire.
The convenience of listening to a book far outweighs any snobbish considerations by those who worship books as the be all and end all. Possibly they are, but to deny those disadvantaged by lack of sight would be criminal. Books are available in audio form, playable by cassette, CD and mp3 and, strange as it may seem - by computer! Many people listen to them at home, perhaps when they are ease, or maybe whilst they are on the move doing other jobs. Some people like to listen whilst they are driving their cars, and, as someone has observed, it is distracting and awkward to turn a page whilst doing 75mph!
Having proven that I have the means, I've decided that I will read The Chicken onto disc when I have the time, followed by Will Tomorrow - then after that, the next one (which is starting to take shape).
If you wish to listen to my efforts so far, then you may go to the following address, where two or three tales are ready for you to listen to in situ, or download for later listening. I have also recorded 3 stories which are strictly for grown ups, for adults, as they are from the seedy side of life and contain both strong language and vivid word imagery (and you thought I was quite modest and demure, didn't you?). These latter are definitely NOT freely available, though they are not locked away. Stangely, they have proven popular with those who have tried them out for me. They want more!!!!!!!!
That address is:-
http://tinyurl.com/5xf5f8
Audio files of Out of the Night and Welcome to the Club are waiting for you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home