Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Hit the Jackpot - bullseye at least

Some time ago, I sent a small story off the People's Friend, a weekly magazine published by D.C.Thompson of Dundee. Herself has taken the Friend for years, and I thought that perhaps I might be able to get in there.

The magazine is not heavy, mainly for women, though I suspect they do have a male readership as well. It is quite a good read, actually.

So, I sent the item (about a thousand words) off, complete with the obligatory SAE, and this came home today. I opened it carefully, wondering who should be writing to me from Scotland. As soon as I saw the letterhead, I looked for my MSS, quite expecting it to have come back as a lemon, but no - they are buying it!

They are going to use it as a feature article - great news! However, the fee does give weight to the widespread belief in the parsimony of Scotsmen, but I ain't going to refuse.

It's a start, it's an entry and I now must examine my stock to see what I might offer next!

This isn't the first item I have had published, but it is the first recently, since my accident and the consequential ill health and depressions. I could feel, whilst writing my novel, that I was getting better, and now this gives me confidence in myself.

I am not being pompous or cute when I say this, but kind words from friends is not enough, wonderful though it be: a writer (that's me, folks) needs confidence in him or herself.

I always knew I could do it, for I have been published before, many years ago. When I was boating ( the source of some of my stories) I wrote an account of a boat trip for a sailing magazine and they bought it along with a couple of photos. I have done a lot of publicity for a Society in which we are members, and I have had numerous "letters to the Editor" at £15 a pop, but nothing for the last couple of years.

Now, with this modest success, I really must knuckle down and unlock the puzzle which is the latest chapter in the book. I think, but only think, I know how it needs to be done: I have tried several ways and have scrapped many thousands whilst trying, but I really must get into it and find that essential key, for now I have a deadline to work to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home