Sunday, May 08, 2005

What's he up to now?

Some people may be asking how I am progressing, but only some.

At the moment, I am not. After writing the difficult chapter, then following on from that with a development, I have begun a further chapter to follow on in the same scenario. I say "started" - I have done a couple of thousand, to be honest, and it is all crap.

I have decided to scrap this chapter and start again. I seem to be writing for writing's sake, and there is no profit in that, especially when I am striving to drive the plot forwards. So, I have been thinking and planning, doing some research (reading) and playing about.

At the moment, we have a little thread running in alt.binaries.unoffical.global.chat concerning muskets. Some may think I am wasting my time there, but this is not so. As my book is partly set in that period, it is every bit useful, as well as being relaxing.

As soon as my brain clicks and sends the required message, then I will settle back down into it. I cannot honestly see the point of scribbling what I know to be crap. There is a big difference between freewheeling (this is when ideas are allowed to pop up) and fannying around something that is already there.

I have already decided to rewrite chunks of that which is already on file, but that is normal proceedure, and am thinking on it from time to time. Hopefully, when it comes to the actual deed, it will all flow like honey onto a slice of toast.

I do believe I might post a few sample paragraphs in here from time to time. That might be interesting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Redstar said...

a guy at work is a napoleonic re-enactor and has a repro short "brown bess" musket

it`s a fully working model and he has the black powder to prove it !

if you get stuck - i`ll ask at work for you :-)

http://www.71hli.co.uk/

6:42 pm  
Blogger Ambrose said...

Thank you kindly Red, but as his boomstick is of a much later period than mine, about the only thing they will have in common is the "bang".

5:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home