Wednesday, May 04, 2005

A Diversion from Work

I have done little or nothing to my book for a day or so, all for a very good reason, or so I tell myself.

I began a chapter and managed to knock out about 500, but had to leave it to go down town on an errand. Then, when I came back, one look into the newsgroups - and bingo!- all plans down the pan!

Some little while ago, I posted a piece into alt.binaries.unoffical.global.chat which contained a certain word, harmless in the context in which I used it. However, my dear friend over there-------------> in the erstwhile colonies, picked up on it. She liked the sound of the word, or perhaps thought she understood what it meant, and there began some of the most hilarious interchanges that it has been my pleasure to share.

It is a word not much used or known over there, in polite or impolite circles and the poor lass latched on to it. Our mutual friend in Australia posted a link to an online slang dictionary which explained a lot, and another posted a link to the BBC America slang dictionary. By now, though, the hilarity was set and was compounded as the lass tried to extricate herself, still not fully knowing where she was going wrong!

It just goes to show what a difference there is between English English and American English!

Meantime, I have posted another article, containing a potential time bomb, another w-o-r-d for her!

Here's hoping it gets picked up on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home