Sunday, May 01, 2005

A little more

Since I started this morning, I have mangaged some 300 odd words (not odd words) but 300 approximately - odd is easier to type than the other word.

This begins the next chapter, which is to be another hard one, and I am tempted to cut it short, but I cannot, as this would wipe out the rest of the story!

I am very conscious that I need the herbal stuff. I asked for pointers in my "home" group, the people there have been helpful, as usual. One chap has a copy of a book which will prove very helpful. Since I have this one to complete, and plan another as a follow-on, I thought it might be helpful to own a copy, until I saw the price, that is.

Wow! That's about a month's baccy money, for goodness sake!

I have ordered a copy from my local County Library, and it should be here in a few days. I am lucky because, due to my age and condition (poorly old fart) I pay no reservation fees, I am not charged penalty if it becomes overdue, and I get to keep the book until someone else, somewhere in the County, wants it.

Meantime, a friend posted this link for me:- http://ayla.brinkster.net/KatLotionsAndPotions.asp

and here is what I posted in reply:-

nonetheless. The preparation bits may be useful for what I want, and I
suspect I will find it elswehere, with the healing ingredients that I need.

I have to be careful, I believe. There is a fine line between healing and
witchcraft in my period. The people were deeply religious, whether they
adhered to the Old Church, the New Church or to the Protestant Church, and
they were superstitious too. Very.

Cadfael was safe in his time, as he was a monk, so his healing was blessed.
It was very easy for "the old woman in the cottage at the end of the
village" to be accused of witchcraft as she heals someone.

Just picture it. There she is, kettle simmering: she stirs the pot, adding
ingredients, reciting the recipe to herself to make sure she is doing it
right, she is overheard, and she is accused of "making incantations" or
"casting spells".

Could be quite tricky.>

So, while I have the girl "medicined" I had a quick thought that it might solve some problems if I kill her off with it, a mistaken herb perhaps, but no - I cannot, as I need her, she is an essential part of the plot.

If I kill her off now, then out of the window goes all my careful planning, and then with what do I stuff the ensuing chapters?

I suppose I could write something about Stinky getting her knickers in a twist again, and getting it all wrong - but no, I'll save that for later, the next book perhaps, set in the Colonies! I can always make her into the fabled "Wild Colonial Girl"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home