Saturday, June 04, 2005

Scrap, rubbish, junk, crap

Back to the drawing board, as they say.

For a few days now, I have been struggling to carry the story forward, but the current scene is proving to be a pig. I have replaced whole sections in the chapter and now the present 2300 words are about to go onto the scrap pile. No matter how I try, I cannot get them to make sense in the proper context.

All that I am succeeding in is to create a totally illogical situation. The only solution is to scrap this section and to go back and do a rewrite, in order to set it up again.

So, I will go back to the linking chapter and rewrite it, introducing another character: rather, expand a character who is already there, and give her some dialogue which ties in with the present characters.

Only by doing this will I get the link that I need.

Further to this, I have just realised that I have a natural deadline for completion of the first draft. When asked, I have always said "no rush, it will be finished when it is finished" and had convinced nyself that this schedule was best. Actually, it allowed me to be as lazy as I wanted to be.

Herself has reminded me that we are to go away on holiday at the end of August, and this presents a golden opportunity. If I can complete the draft by then, I can take it with me, plus a box of blue pencils, and I can do a full edit at my leisure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home