Monday, May 30, 2005

Stuck, stymied,held up

After the success of the last chapter, I now find myself stuck.

I have fulfilled the heroine's wish to entice the hero into her bed, and I have left them there - no, she will not have her wicked way with him, as he is there for a different reason.

I know what I want to do, so it is not the idea that is holding me up, it is the "how" that is the problem. I need a starter, a key if you like, a form of words that will get the ball rolling.

Let me give you an idea of the problem:-

My hero has been having dreams which give him information on certain events in the 17th Century, when my other heroine lived. The story is coming to a conclusion, and I am hoping to set out the climactic events in a dream sequence.

However, it is not as simple as that, as I want the hero to actually witness the events - this is purely on technical grounds, as it would be impossible to sustain a dream for more than a few paragraphs, I think - or would it? Doing this will also help in the present day, as it will help to get the hero and heroine together - I've already got them in bed together, so I must be doing something right!

Ah well, it'll come to me, one way or another. I shall have to grasp the nettle very soon and get stuck in again, as I want to get the first draft finished. That's when the real fun will start - the revision, which may even run to a full rewrite. I really must be brave, writing the complete story in the expectation of having to rewrite it!

I have already experienced the pain of scrapping whole sections as unsuitable or as unwanted (as much as 7500 words at a time), so I am prepared for the onset of the editing pencil!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home