Motor Cars - fun things!
I had some fun with my motor car a couple of days ago.
The car is a Land Rover Discovery, a wonderful car, one which suits my needs perfectly. I was out in it the other morning and the engine cut out, only to start again shortly afterwards. It did this a few times, so I called the RAC out, who, because of my condition, arrived 30 minutes later.
I explained what had happened and suggested that the problem may lie with the "sedimenter", a device in the fuel line with which I had previously made aquaintance. He checked the fuel pump and the banjos and, since I was close to home, suggested that I drive home where he could work on the car off the road, away from the traffic. Should it pack up on the way, then he would be right behind me and could fix it.
Sure enough, it cut out within sight of home, but we were very soon in my yard where he could look in safety. Since he was not familiar with this "sedimenter", he asked if I would explain. I was happy to do so.
Shortly after I bought the car from the dealer, this very same problem manifested itself, and the dealer told me to bring the car in and he would fix it. His mechanic did not know where to start, as he had not encountered this specific situation before, so he telephoned a Land Rover specialist.
Right next to the fuel tank is a sort of filter device, called a "sedimenter". This is a free flowing vessel, enclosed within the fuel feed system. The idea is that the diesel fuel enters the pot through one pipe, pauses in the pot, and then carries on to the fuel filter proper and the engine.
Whilst the fuel is in the sedimenter, any particles or water will settle out, and the outgoing fuel will be clean. What happens from time to time, is that any collected gunge at the bottom of the sedimenter will swirl around and will block the output pipe as the fuel pump tries to suck the stuff.
The engine stops, the car stops moving, the sediment drops away from the pipe, and off you go again.
The RAC engineer then set to, clambering under the car, removing the sedimenter - sure enough, there was a large glob of goop in there : it looked like a wad of cotten wool, or collected lint. This was emptied out, the canister wiped out and refitted, then bingo, problem solved.
So. added to the list of things to do prior to our holiday trip is the need to check the sedimenter.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home